Tuesday, June 1, 2010

PROJECT 3: Precedent Study - East Wing, National Gallery in Washington DC by I.M. PEI






I. M. PEI 'S DC ART GALLERY, EAST WING
I have always been inspired by studying I. M Pei's work. To gain more knowledge about gallery and museum interiors, I decided to look at the East Wing of DC Art Gallery. The East Wing of the building was designed by Pei and his partners in 1974. The building sits on a difficult triangular site which Pei manipulated to his benefit. The floor plan has triangular portions which come together as an entire functional space.
Concrete was used along with glass. I particularly love the "pyramid skylights" on top which allow light into the interior spaces below and create interesting shadows. The pictures above show a complete floor plan along with one of Pei's working drawings or "parti" for the project.








































No comments:

Post a Comment